Wednesday, November 28, 2012

WiP Wednesday - Gramps

I've started my first project of my Christmas knitting (I hope it won't be my only project but progress is slow right now!) - Gramps!  I'm knitting the 3-4 year size for my nephew who is almost 2, but big for his age.  It's looking a little small right now and I'm hoping that it's just an illusion because it's on my needles and I haven't gotten too far yet.  I even did a gauge swatch before knitting this pattern (unheard of for me!) and it was pretty close to what it was supposed to be.


For the main color (brown) I'm using Diamond Yarn Luxury Collection Fine Merino Superwash DK.  For the contrasting color (grey) I'll be using Cascade 220 Superwash in charcoal heather color.

In my efforts to become a faster knitter, I'm attempting to knit this project continental style (not my usual) as I think that, once I get it down, I'll be able to finish projects in a more timely fashion.  This project is good because it's a lot of stockinette stitch.  My main problem with continental is keeping my tension.  I still have to 'rewrap' the yarn around my finger once or twice per row but the tension is looking pretty good, so far.


I've actually gotten a bit further than these pictures show but I'll likely feature this in another WiP post in the near future so I'll take more pictures then (unless by some miracle I find more time to knit and finish this in the next week or two, then it will be in an FO Friday post!).

I hope others over at Tami's Amis are sharing  more exciting WiPs than this!  Lots to do at work and the end of the school semester have been taking up most of my time lately!  I'm counting down the days until I get a break from it all over the holidays.  One of my favorite professors is encouraging me "not to waste December" and work on an article for publication - I'm not sure if I have the heart to tell him that I really want a full break for a couple weeks...on the other hand, I'm not sure I have the energy to write a publication-worthy article!  Would much prefer to be knitting and baking next month :)


Pin It

12 comments:

  1. I'm with you. A break would be perfect. It's torture to go out of the house in the middle of the night. School starts at 7.15 here ... How nice would it be to stay home and knit and bake. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tension looks much better than my first Continental project, but after that one jumper, I totally had the hang of it and have never looked back. I find it so much quicker and more efficient.

    I'm only showing one knit today too - it's the season to be busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tension looks great!
    I think taking a break is a good plan. After this crazy month you'll be refreshed and ready to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      And yes, I think a break is in order. My brain is telling me it needs a break. It's amazing that I even remember my name these days! lol

      Delete
  4. I hope it turns out exactly as you need it to! i love knitting for little people. the projects are so adorable and do seem to go a lot quicker than the things I make myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly why 80% of my knitting is for all my friends' little ones! So satisfying to finish a project in a reasonable amount of time - and not really have to worry about fit!

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your Christmas knitting

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a very nice shade of brown. I'm a new knitter; so please pardon my ignorance. Why is there white at the top of the yoke? I'm sure it serves a purpose. Your tension, as others have said, looks great. I was initially being taught to throw, but on my own I decided to try Continental. It's a lot more natural for me because I'm a crocheter. I love it so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That lighter colored yarn is a provisional cast on. At a later point in the project, I will pull that yarn out and put the stitches from the brown yarn back on my needles and continue knitting that portion of the sweater. I have only needed to use a provisional cast-on a couple times - easy to do with the help of YouTube!

      All my friends who learned to crochet before they learned to knit find continental knitting much more natural as well!

      Delete