Wednesday, September 29, 2010

WiP Wednesday - This Week, I'm a Trader!

Thanks again to Tami for hosting these WiP Wednesdays on her blog!  I really enjoy browsing through all the links people post there - if you haven't yet, check it out!  And feel free to join in!


I have to admit, since last week I haven't put the work into my WiPs that I had hoped.  I got sidetracked...


















...my fingers needed a rest from knitting :)  

So, my WiPs remain the same as last week - the Hippo and the shawl - both with no progress worth mentioning.  I plan to cast on a hat this week for my friend's 5-year-old son.  He had a very specific request for me.

I hang out at their house a lot and he had been watching me knit for a couple of months.  Every time he would ask what I'm making and who I'm knitting it for.  He would even remember a week later what project I had been working on the last time I saw him and ask if I was finished and, if not, when I would be.  A few times went straight for my knitting bag, pull out my project (still on the needles) and, before I could tell him to be careful, ask me what it was and who it was for.

One day, I was working on a project in the morning as he left for school.  When he came home, he immediately asked if the sweater for baby Lucy was done - it was.  He laid it out on the couch, smoothed out all the wrinkles and said, "Ohh!  This is really nice!  Baby Lucy is really going to like it!".  Heartwarming!  

Then, one day he put in a request.  He asked if I could make him something - a hat with a duck part, as he showed me with his hands a shape coming from his forehead.  In red.  I said I could.  So I went on Ravelry.com and found some patterns for duck hats.  "Like this?" I asked, "but in red?".  "Yes", he replied, "but without the eyes".  I confirmed that he wanted the duck hat in red, with the yellow duck part but no eyes.  No, that wasn't what he wanted.  After a lot of questioning and clarification, I realized that he wanted a hat with a bill!  Nothing resembling a duck at all - just the duck PART!  Oh, and it was to be "like a hard hat", so that he couldn't ruin it.  I explained that I would make it so it wouldn't fall apart, but that knitting would not be as hard as a real hard hat.  I don't think he actually wanted it hard, perhaps he was trying to tell me he wanted it to be stiff?

So, I eventually got the yarn and got his approval, but finding a pattern was not easy!  I did find one that I think will work in the book Son of Stitch n' Bitch by Debbie Stroller; it's called the "Half-Pipe Hat".  I need to learn the tubular cast-on; looks like some people on Ravelry gave up on it and used a different cast-on.  I'm determined to learn! 

I need to get on it, the poor kid requested it back in the spring and now is the perfect time of year for him to wear it!  Pressure is on - I'm already worrying that he won't like it!

10 comments:

  1. Those boots are adorable! Worth getting side-tracked :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those books are cute!

    My niece did the same thing to me. I made a reindeer for her bday. At first she didn't seem very impressed that I made it, but as time went on, she started to ask me about my crochet and what I was making (she's 6). A few weeks ago, she requested a dog with long black ears, a brown body and a purple collar. Every time I've seen her since, she's asked if I've started/finished it. Oops. I think I know what part of her Christmas present will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kids are funny. Good luck with your project. Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poor kid has given up asking me about it now. At first, every time I saw him he would ask about his hat and tell me that he wanted it that day! He didn't seem to understand that I couldn't find a pattern. He actually told me it was "easy" and told me how to do it! Too cute! I love kids :)

    Thanks for the comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those boots are adorable!

    Did you try the "Pattern recommendation experiment" on ravelry? It's quite helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The boots are lovely! Kids are so cute that way. They know what they want and they usually get it :-)! Did you try finding out where he got the idea? Might give you a clue?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your young friend will be delighted with whatever hat you end up choosing. He sounds like he appreciates fine knitwear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The boots are cute.

    Kids can be sweet. It sounds like he was trying to describe a baseball hat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the boots! Trying to get directions from a kiddo is always exciting

    ReplyDelete